CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Nylons or No Nylons

Last night at our Young Women's Standard's night the stake leaders told the girls that they need to dress more modestly and be in their Sunday Best for church which includes wearing nylons. Since I am a leader I feel like I would not be an example of obedience if I don't follow this counsel, especially since the girls look at how I am dressed each week. My question is this...how many of you wear nylons to church each Sunday???

22 comments:

Sherrie said...

Hey you! What a fun surprise to see your comment on our blog! :) I'm SO glad you found us! I loved looking at your blog, you have beautiful little girls...and it was so good to see pictures of Idaho in the background. I miss it so much! :) Give your mom, and Debbie hugs for me...and Diane, and I could keep on going. They were some of my absolute favorites in Iona...I learned so much from them! :)

Nylons: I know! It's hard to wear them every week! I must admit there are many weeks in the summer (especially out here where it's usually 90s and 80-90% humidity) where I don't wear them. But we have the same problem with our girls out here...they tend to dress way to casual for church.

becky ward said...

i HATE nylons! and i have heard before that no nylons is too casual. i agree to some extent, but not enough to wear nylons every day. PLUS, nylons are so expensive and they rip so easily that my husband hates me to buy them. but, if i was in your shoes and working with the young girls i would feel like i needed to be an example as well.

Nichelle said...

I don't ever wear nylons in the summer. I have never heard that it is too casual not to wear them. I hope that people don't think that I don't dress up enough for church. You have got me thinking that I probably should start wearing them on a regular basis.

Katie said...

Ok, I'm going to be the black sheep here, but I NEVER wear nylons and NEVER would. In fact, I would fight with the Young Women leaders to get them to lighten up and realize that people really don't wear nylons that much anymore and the girls can still dress modestly and nice without wearing them. I didn't even wear them in my job, which required me to wear suit and suit dresses every day. Also, nylons cause foot bacteria and horribly stinky feet! :) I absolutely loathe nylons...can you tell? Those are my two bits!

Janetlee said...

Actually, I'm the black sheep. But I am also about 10-15 years older than any of you. I grew up wearing nylons and continue to do so because it is uncomfortable to not wear them. As for cost, if you buy a good pair, not dollar store nylons, they will last a long long time. I buy nylons about every 3 months. I am cheering for those of you who make this a matter of observing (obeying) what has been asked even if it is hot, humid, or itchy. Hey! That's how I would describe my garments most of the time. Ha Ha.

Ashlee said...

I NEVER wear nylons. I hate them!

Janetlee said...

I stole the idea from you to put this same question on my blog. Thanks Sueann and I'm very proud of you for being obedient. You would also be proud to know that I quickly obeyed the advice you gave me about keeping my house clean. C'mon on down and see it. It is beautiful still!

Kate Call said...

are you freak'n kidding me.. this almost brought me to a swear word when i read it .. but i'll be "modest" and say... HECK NO! they give me stomach problems that require pepto-bismol.. if you know what i'm saying.. so i guess i have a medical excuse not to wear them. and you can tell bishop ryan i said that Ü

Young Family said...

I agree 100% with Katie...I do NOT wear nylons to church on Sunday, and I even live in the South. It used to be a big southern thing, but it is too stinking hot in FL for those things...

Our problem is trying to get the YM to not wear flip flops to church...

Alexandria Rammell said...

NEVER!!! I dont plan on ever! yuk! Itchy!

tHe BrOwn FaMiLy said...

I don't ever wear nylons on Sunday....only tights if it's really cold outside.

It's not a commandment!!! I have never heard any one say in order to be in your best dressed clothing you have to wear nylons... It's your own personal choice. You can still be an example by wearing and dressing in your best without nylons. Why not wear a closed toed shoe with a nice dress.

JANEAL said...

I always wear them in the winter but never in the summer.

JANEAL said...

I think a lot of it depends on the shoes you wear. I think if you are wearing flip flops and no nylons then that is too casual. If you aren't wearing nylons and you have dressy shoes then I don't think that is casual at all.

Bon said...

Hey I like the idea. I don't wear them unless it is winter. But I like that you guys are setting an example and think it is great!

Amberlee said...

Okay- we've had several conversations on this matter by now, but for the record I will say... I absolutely HATE nylons. Until I hear that it is a commandment to wear them I won't! I feel like we can be plenty "dressed up" without wearing nylons. In fact, they don't make me feel more dressy at all they just make me totally uncomfortable!

The Hammers said...

Our stake YW President just told us as leaders that we need to wear nylons as well. Really hard in the summer time, but I think worth it to be the example.

Holly said...

I only wear them in the winter/fall. I think that times have changed alot. I don't ever wear flip flops to church though. I think you can look dressy enough with out them. I completely agree that girls are starting to dress to casually at church, but I think it's an individual call, on if you are going to wear nylons or not. :) What a great question! So many funny answers too! {Kate} haha. I laughed so hard!! :)

christine said...

I hate nylons with a passion. I never wear them! I wear tights in the winter because nylons are the most uncomfortable things in the world. I was also in YW when the church started recognizing that the dress was getting too casual. It was hard for me to be a good example when I was cursing the nylons the whole time. Good luck with your decision. I do agree that we should look our best for church, but if people start to feel too uncomfortable, they won't want to come.

Christina said...

I wear them because being in the RS Pres., we were instructed on our dress. Since then it's become a habit. Personally, I don't mind having all of myself held in a little better anyway. I will never judge anyone who doesn't though! It's a personal matter.

Smith Family said...

I was there and did'nt even see you. I was not feeling well. I HATE NYLONS! I do not wear them unless I have to.

Boyd Fam said...

I also agree that you don't have to wear them to be modest. They really don't make your outfit any more modest if you are wearing them. That is my opinion. I HATE THEM as well!!

Janetlee said...

I wanted to comment on what Missy said. Hi Missy! You said wearing nylons does not make an outfit more modest. Bare legs are offensive to the older generation. While I agree that it is a generational thing, I also can understand how it is a evolutionary thing. 100 years ago you wore dresses to the ankles. Then to the calf, then, knee, then behinder, then no stockings, then.....what? What will it be when our daughters are our age? Not to cause contention, I just think it will continue to evolve unless a standard is set. Our YW Pres is just trying to raise the bar a little, I think.